39 (corner): This 1910 townhouse, known
as Hale House after Nathan Hale, was leased in
1941 by surrealist painter
Max Ernst and art collector
Peggy Guggenheim, after the two had fled Nazi-occupied
Europe. They were married in December 1941, but
separated in 1943.
33: Redesigned by Harrie Lindeberg in 1925.
Billy Rose later lived here.
31: Permanent Mission of Tunisia to the U.N.
29: A seven-story house built in 1929
by CBS president
25-27: In 1926, these houses were combined and given
a neo-Classical facade by diplomat
Van Santvoord Merle-Smith.
23: This two-story Modernist
townhouse was radically redesigned in 1977 for Yale architecture
Paul Rudolph, who decorated it with mirrors,
mylar, white formica and clear acrylic.
It underwent a
controversial renovation in 2003, redone in
similar 21st Century materials. Actress
Katharine Cornell lived in an earlier version
of this building.
19-21 (corner): A red-brick
in that style by Ellen Shipman in the early 1920s.