221-223 (corner): The Mayflower, six-story building
dated to c. 1910.
Young Israel Synagogue of Manhattan
229: Founded in 1912, the Young
Israel movement promotes a modern,
American version of Orthodox Judaism. Its
New York temple moved here in 1922. Prior
to that, this was the home of the Hebrew
Immigrant Aid Society, founded 1909,
which moved out in 1921 in the former
Astor Library, now the Public Theater.
Also in this building is the Algemeiner Journal;
founded in 1972 by a veteran of Der Tag
after that paper folded, it's the last survivor
of the Yiddish newspaper row. UPDATE: This building
torn down in 2010; the paper seems to have moved
233: Congregation Beth Hachasidim de Polen;
Tzheirei Agudath Israel of Manhattan
235: The United Jewish Council
of the East Side, founded in the 1970s, is
dedicated to the preservation of community
institutions. Also at this address is the synagogue
Agudas Harbonim and the Ezras Torah Relief Society.
237: Congregation Shearis Adath Israel;
Chassidei Belz; Anshei Libovne-Volin; Chevra
239: Con- grega- tion Austria Hungary Anshei Sfard;
Chevra Yeshias Yacov
241: Chevra Zemach Zedek ("Society of the Righteous
Scion"), which takes its name from the nickname of
Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn (1789-1866), an important
247-249: These row houses, built c. 1837,
are survivors of the middle-class neighborhood that
was here before the Lower East Side became synonymous
with tenements and mass immigration.
255: Another row house survivor from c. 1837.
259 (corner): This was the address of the
drug store of
Israel Turk, a prosperous pharmacist,
who was murdered in his home at 271, an address
no longer existing. Turk was reportedly killed by
escaped convict Robert Brown, who was robbing
the house at the request of a Hoboken woman who
had a grudge against Turk's wife.