Corner (231 Madison): Based on the collections of financier J.P. Morgan, this private
library contains amazing treasures, including the original journals of H.D. Thoreau, the
manuscript of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, three Gutenberg Bibles, the nation's
largest group of Rembrandt etchings and the world's most comprehensive collection of
Gilbert and Sullivan material. Closed for expansion until 2006.
The part of the complex that is on this corner is an Italianate brownstone (perhaps the
last of its kind in New York) was originally built for Isaac Newton Phelps in 1853
and was lived in by his son-in-law, banker
Anson Phelps Stokes. From 1905 to 1944, it was the home of J.P. Morgan Jr.,
heir to the Morgan fortune; it was the headquarters of the Lutheran Church in America from 1944 until 1988.
38 (corner): A Republican club
formed in 1862 by members who quit
the Union Club because it refused to expel
Confederate sympathizers. Members have included
presidents Theodore Roosevelt and Chester A. Arthur,
banker J. Pierpont Morgan, editor
William Cullen Bryant
Thomas Nast. The club takes credit
for ousting Boss Tweed, founding the
Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American
Red Cross, and erecting the Statue of Liberty.
building, by Benjamin Wystar Morris, was built in 1931, long after the
club had lost its political fervor. The AIA
Guide calls the clubhouse "effete and bland."