65 (corner): Built in 1926 by William Randolph
Hearst with a specially designed floor for his
Marion Davies. A favorite of show business sorts,
the hotel boasts James Dean, Elvis Presley, Elizabeth Taylor
and Jane Russell as having been frequent guests. Cary Grant
lived here for 12 years; The Beatles stayed here when they
first came to the States.
William Randolph Hearst,
Helen Morgan (Show Boat), John Garfield
Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, Harvey
The hotel restaurant is Randolph's, the bar is Murals on
43: Connolly's, Irish pub
41: This 1878 townhouse by James G. Lynd
was given a "modern" facelift in 1909 by Foster,
Gade & Graham.
37: New York Thai Grill & Sushi Bar
35: Another 1878 townhouse by James G. Lynd
that was renovated by Foster, Gade & Graham,
this time in 1905.
33: Il Gatto Pardo, Italian
31: The high-end shoe store made famous by Sex and
25: The Regent House
17: Built in 1936, designed by Wallace K. Harrison
and J. André Fouilhoux. Lewis Mumford called them "surely
the most brilliant and most successful example of
Modern architecture in the city - at least in apartment houses."
Gertrude Lawrence, who originated the role of Anna in
The King and I in 1951, lived here from 1936 until
her death in 1952.
13-15: This 1897 neo-Renaissance townhouse
was designed by Henry Hardenbergh for William Murray,
but John D. Rockefeller Jr. moved here in 1901,
across the street from his father; he moved next door
to his dad in 1908, shortly after the birth of his son
Nelson Rockefeller. The son, a New York governor (remembered for the
Rockefeller drug laws) and the
U.S. vice president under Gerald Ford, later owned
the house; he died here of a heart attack on January 26, 1979,
accompanied by 26-year-old aide
Megan Marshack. No. 15
was the address of Nelson Rockefeller's Museum
of Primitive Art from 1953 until the mid-1970s.
9-11: This 1898
neo-Georgian townhouse was designed by
McKim, Mead & White for
James J. Goodwin, a cousin of J.P. Morgan.
From 1945 until 1979, the building housed the
Rhodes Preparatory School, whose alumni
include Robert deNiro, James Caan, Commerce
Secretary Ron Brown and fugitive Marc Rich.
It now is the office of the U.S. Trust Company.
7: Built in 1900 for
president of Lehman Brothers; the family art
collection, which was housed here, is now
displayed at the Lehman Wing of the Met.
The round windows in the mansard roof,
reminiscent of Doctor Strange's Sanctum
Sanctorum, are called "oculi."
5: The Research Board
1 (corner): A 10-story
"Florentine super-pallazo beyond the Medicis'
wildest dreams" (AIA Guide),
designed by Charles McKim, a member
(along with Meade and White).
1899. The City Review calls it
"the city's grandest clubhouse." The
club was founded in 1865 to promote
art and literature; members were required
to have college degrees, hence the name.
Women were not admitted until 1987.